Thursday, August 27, 2015

Light Straw Clay is DONE

It's drying nicely this week with dry temps in the 80s'.  The rule of thumb is to allow one one week of dry time for every inch of LSC.  In my case, that's 3.5 weeks.  So worst case, I should be ready to close in the walls on 9/21.  My test sections have dried in less than 3 weeks.  (I weighed them every day and when the weight leveled off, it's clear that they were dry.)

I can already feel a different climate inside during the heat of the day: it's noticeably cooler compared to shady areas outside the house.  Thermal mass at work!   Here are the finished interior walls:

East wall.  (I'll give you one guess which corner the bathroom is in)

South wall.  Note the plywood outside the left window: that's my rain screen, which keeps the LSC dry in rainstorms, while still allowing the wall to breathe and dry on clear days.

West Wall.  You can see some areas of pea gravel aren't 100% dry yet.  The pea gravel is the drainage layer and leveling course below the adobe floor.

North wall.  Passive solar design says to minimize window area on the northern exposure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment